Kismet Health Clinic can help you create and achieve a preconception plan that allows you to improve your health and lifestyle and potentially increase your chances on conception and the future health of your baby. We are passionate about creating a healthy you, so that we can create healthy children in North East Victoria and regional NSW.
Preconception care is all about getting both parents to be as healthy as possible, because healthy people make healthy babies. A healthy you will mean, healthy cells, eggs and sperm all of which will create your baby and determine the health of your baby.
Evidence now demonstrates that the health of both parents before and during pregnancy is strongly associated with healthy development and general health in adulthood. This is especially true in relation to obesity, cardiovascular disease, mental health, risk of cancer, gut health and immune functioning.
Now men, the health of your baby also comes down to you, I love it when the male partner turns up to the appointment when couples are trying to have babies, it literally does take two to tango. The health and quality of your sperm is important for successful conception and also the health of your baby. Evidence shows that men who have poor diet, high stress, smoke and drink large amounts of alcohol have lower sperm count, can experience difficulties when it comes to conception and are also at an increased risk of miscarriage. This means that when both partners get on board you are likely to have increased success.
The best thing about preconception care is that it’s an overall health change, kind of like a health kick. It will give both of you achievable changes to both your diet and lifestyle which you’ll both be able to maintain long-term. All advise is practical, realistic and easy to achieve. Plus it’s nice to know that you have someone to help you through one of the most important stages of your life and to get professional advice along the way.
So what does getting healthy and pregnant involve?
Approximately 100 days (3 months) is the ideal time frame for preconception care, however we have also worked with couples for longer then this depending on their current health status, the time frame is determined in your initial consultation. This amount of time is required because sperm and eggs take this long to develop or mature. It means that while they are developing/maturing they get the benefit of all the changes you are making to improve your overall health.
Some of the things that may be involved in your preconception plan are listed below – these are however tailored specifically to what you need as a couple as not everyone is the same.
- Dietary advise
- Nutritional supplementation for both of you
- Miscarriage prevention
- Lifestyle changes (stress reduction, exercise advice)
- Practical and evidence based advice
- An in depth and thorough health screen including nutritional deficiencies, gut health, hormonal health, genitourinary and other infections.
- Referrals to other health professionals, such as acupuncture for proven support.
Who would it benefit?
- Couples, single women or same sex couples who want to give their baby the best possible start to life.
- Couples or single women who have general infertility with or without known cause, including problems with sperm quality, anovulation, PCOS, endometriosis etc.
- Couples who have experienced one or more miscarriages
- Couples who have experienced previous complications such as prematurity, low birth weight, stillbirth or sudden infant death syndrome.
- Couples or single women currently doing IVF
A note of IVF
If you are already doing IVF, you may not feel like there is time to take a break, or alternatively you may feel like some time off is what you need. Either way we are able to work with you to create a plan that will work for you no matter where you are in your fertility journey. It is possible to continue trying to conceive or doing IVF and incorporate some preconception principals as you go.
If you would like to create a healthy you so that you can create a healthy baby you can book and appointment HERE to start your preconception plan!
Naturopath & Nutritionist (BHSc)